Frequently Asked Questions

Need help? Be sure to visit our support forums for answers to your questions!


Any time of the year. The earlier you start your course, the more opportunities you have toward higher education and pathways. We have intakes for General English courses every Monday.

It is easy and simple. Just use our online application process, and prepare the necessary materials and documents.
Then click on https://scotsenglish.edu.au/enrol/enrol-now, filling in all required information and submit to us.

There are 6 levels of General English offered by Scots English College comprising: Beginner, Elementary, Pre-Intermediate, Intermediate, Upper-Intermediate and Advanced.

For more detailed information of our courses, please go to the Courses section.

This is a copy of the original document with the signature and official stamp of authority or education agent showing that they have already checked the original document and the copy version is authentic.

Seen as an official document for any international students studying in Australia, a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) is issued by an education provider located in Australia as a confirmation of acceptance to students. This document is a supporting document for you to apply for your visa.

You must have adequate health insurance while in Australia. This is done by obtaining the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) which provides medical and hospital insurance in Australia. You must not arrive in Australia before your health insurance starts. If you are in Australia and do not have adequate health insurance, you are in breach of your visa conditions.
Your education provider might organise your OSHC coverage for you, or you can select an approved OSHC provider yourself and pay the policy.
If your education provider arranges your OSHC coverage, you will need to know the name of your health insurance provider, the date that your policy starts and finishes and you should be aware of the terms and conditions of your policy. If you arrange for OSHC coverage yourself you will also need to know the policy number to include in the visa application.
Exceptions: You do not need OSHC if you are:

  • a Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
  • a Swedish student covered by the National Board of Student Aid or by Kammarkollegiet
  • a Belgian student covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia.

If you are studying at more than one educational provider and both are arranging OSHC, you will have to ensure that there is no gap between policies. This means that as one policy expires the next commences immediately.

OSHC is available for a period of up to five years. If your course exceeds five years in length, then OSHC providers may issue cover for a longer period.

If you have a child born after your arrival in Australia, and you only have a single OSHC policy you must change that to a family policy. If family members join you after your arrival in Australia they will have to demonstrate that they have an OSHC policy for the duration of their visas.

Please refer to https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/ for more information.

According to The Department of Immigration and Border Protection, from 2020, the 12 month- living- costs are:

  • student/guardian AUD$21,041
  • partner/spouse AUD AUD$7,362
  • child AUD AUD$3,152

Please refer to https://www.studyinaustralia.gov.au/global/live-in-australia/living-costs for more information.

Transport in Sydney is by bus, train, light rail, cycling and ferries.

The large train network of Sydney not only links the remote areas with the city, but also facilitates transportation to nearby cities and tourist attractions. A majority of students use public transport for its cheap price and convenience.

Learn more about pricing and steps of purchasing at Transport NSW website.

It is very important for you to remember that the primary reason for student visa holders to be in Australia is to study. While this may seem obvious, some students may end up losing their student visa by giving priority to their job rather than their studies. When work takes preference over your study commitments, it can cause two main difficulties that are directly related to your student visa conditions:

1.Your attendance falls below the required 80% attendance rate because work is taking priority over study;

2.You fail to maintain satisfactory course progress because you are giving priority to work rather than studying in addition to your course hours.

Scots English College expects all its students to commit to their English language studies by maintaining both satisfactory attendance and satisfactory course progress.

Work conditions for student visa holders
If you are a student visa holder, you and your dependent family members have permission to work based on the hours stipulated in your visa. You and your family members must not breach the work conditions that apply to your visas. Students and their families must not breach the work conditions that apply to their visas.
You cannot work until you have commenced your course in Australia. Once your course has commenced you are permitted to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight when your course is in session, and unlimited hours when your course is not in session.

A fortnight is a period of 14 days commencing on any Monday and ending on the second following Sunday.

(Quote: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Stud/More/Work-conditions-for-Student-visa-holders)

You must obtain a Tax File Number to be able to work in Australia. This is available from the Australian Tax Office.

Getting a Tax File Number

Follow this link to the ATO to apply for a Tax File Number: Apply for a Tax File Number


Taxes are managed through the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). The tax you pay depends on how much you earn.

Taxation Returns

If you pay too much tax you are entitled to a refund. To get a refund you will need to lodge a tax return. You can lodge online using e-tax (free), by mailing a paper tax return, or by paying a registered tax agent to complete and lodge the return for you. If you lodge by e-tax your refund will normally be issued within 14 days.

At the end of the tax year (30th June) your employer must give you a document called a Payment Summary (Group Certificate). This document includes your Gross Salary/Wages, Allowances, Lump Sum payments Union Fees/tax deductions, and Taxation for the previous financial year. You will need the information on this certificate to complete your annual tax return.

  • Lodge online using e-tax at www.ato.gov.au
  • For a registered tax agent visit https://www.tpb.gov.au/
  • Tax returns are lodged at the end of the Australian tax year (1 July to 30 October).


To check your eligibility to claim your superannuation and to apply for your payment, visit: www.ato.gov.au/departaustralia

The ESOS Act and You

Australia has a strong reputation as a study destination for international students. To maintain this reputation and to protect the rights of international students, the Australian Government has a legal framework in place that governs the responsibility of education institutions towards overseas students.

The Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act is the main piece of legislation that governs the responsibility of education institutions towards overseas students. In addition to the ESOS Act (2000), there are a number of other pieces of legislation that work together to protect the interests of international students. These are:

  • Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Act 2000
  • Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) Regulations 2001
  • The National Code of Practice for Registration Authorities and Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students (National Code)
  • Education Services for Overseas Students (Registration Charges) Act 1997
  • ESOS Assurance Fund Act
  • Education Services for Overseas Students Amendment (Re-registration of Providers and Other Measures) Act 2010

Other Amendments to the ESOS Act include three measures that came into effect on 14 December 2015 to directly reduce administrative costs for education institutions. Please click here for fact sheets outlining the changes to:

The ESOS laws benefit two particular groups:

1.It protects overseas students coming to Australia on student visas. It does not cover overseas students on other kinds of visas, nor does it cover students studying at Australian institutions based in other countries.
2. It sets out clear roles and responsibilities for education institutions wanting to teach overseas students.
The ESOS laws details your rights and responsibilities as an overseas student on a student visa and the standards of education provision that education providers to overseas students must meet. These include the following;

Your rights:

  • Before you enrol, you should receive accurate and up-to-date information about your courses, fees, modes of study (whether distance or face-to-face) and other information from your education provider or an agent representing your education provider.
  • If you are under 18 years of age, you will be granted a visa only if there are appropriate arrangements in place for your accommodation, support and welfare. This is to ensure the safety of students under 18 years.
  • You should receive and sign a written agreement between you and your education provider before you pay fees, which give accurate details of the services that you will
  • Your right to get the education that you have paid for. The ESOS framework provides for consumer protection that will allow you to receive a refund or to be placed in another course if your education provider is unable to provide the course you have paid for.

Your responsibilities:

  • You must satisfy your student visa conditions
  • You must maintain your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the period of your stay
  • You must meet the terms of the written agreement with your education provider
  • You must inform your provider if you change your address
  • You must maintain satisfactory course progress for the duration of your studies
  • You must maintain satisfactory attendance for the duration of your studies.
  • If you are under 18 years of age, you must maintain your approved accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements.

Education standards:

The education standards that your education provider must offer you include:

  • an orientation when you commence your studies
  • access to support services to help you study and adjust to life in Australia
  • access to and the name(s) of contact officer(s) who will assist overseas students
  • information about if/ how you can apply for course credit
  • information about if/ when your enrolment can be deferred, suspended or cancelled
  • information about your provider’s policy & procedures for satisfactory progress in your studies and what support is available if you are not making satisfactory progress
  • information about your provider’s policy & procedures for satisfactory attendance for your course and what support is available if your attendance is not satisfactory.
  • Information about the complaints and appeals process available to you
  • Normally an education provider cannot enrol a student who wants to transfer to another course if they have not completed six months of the final course of study in Australia. Your first education provider must inform you of this, outline the procedures for transfer to another provider and indicate that permission from the first provider is required for transfers.

For more detailed information about ESOS, visit Australian Education International’s website: The ESOS Framework

You can also visit the Australian Government’s Department of Education & Training’s website for more information about international education: http://education.gov.au/international-education

For ESOS enquiries:

Phone: 1300 615 262

Online: ESOS Online Enquiry Form

If you have a complaint

Every education provider should have a complaints and appeals process that you can access if you are unhappy with the quality of education or services you receive.

If the issue cannot be resolved, you can contact the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA) for information and advice to help them understand your rights and obligations.

Visit ASQA’s Complaints page here.

Student Visas

On the 1st July 2016, the Australian Government put in place a new simplified student visa framework (SSVF) for international students
The changes will make the process of applying for a student visa simpler for future international students. The changes mean:

  • A reduction in the number of student visa subclasses from eight to two, and
  • The introduction of a simplified single immigration risk framework for all international students

The two new student visa subclasses are:

  1. Subclass 500 (Student)
  2. Subclass 590 (Student Guardian)

Subclass 500 (Student)

This visa allows you to stay in Australia to study full-time in a recognised education institution. To apply for this visa, you must have:

  • applied for and been accepted to study in a registered full-time course at an educational institution in Australia
  • organised appropriate welfare arrangements for the duration of your intended stay in Australia if you are under 18 years of age.
    You must apply for this visa online. You can apply online if you are in or outside Australia.

A subclass 500 visa allows you to stay in Australia for the duration of your course.

Duration of course

​Duration of visa

​Longer than 10 months and finishing at the end of the Australian academic year (November – December)​Your visa will usually be granted to March 15 of the following year.
Longer than 10 months (finishing January – October)​​Your visa will usually be granted for two months longer than the duration of your course.
​10 months or less​Your visa will usually be granted for one month longer than the duration of your course.

Packaged courses

You can apply to undertake two or more courses on your Student visa (subclass 500) where there is clear progression from one course to another. This is known as course packaging.

You will need to provide a confirmation of enrolment (CoE) or prove that a CoE is not required for each intended course with your visa application.
The final course that you will undertake as part of your package of courses is your main (or principal) course of study. Your main course of study will be used to determine your financial and English language evidentiary requirements.

For more information of student visa (subclass 500), please visit https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/student-500

The Overseas Students Ombudsman:

  • investigates complaints about problems that intending, current or former overseas students have with private schools, colleges and universities (education providers) in Australia.
  • provides information about best practice complaints handling to help private education providers manage internal complaints effectively
  • publishes reports on problems and broader issues in international education that we identify through investigations.

Making a complaint:

What does the Overseas Students Ombudsman do?
If you are not satisfied with a decision or action taken by your private registered education provider, you should ask about their internal complaints and appeals process. If you complain to your education provider, but you are not satisfied with the result, you can complain to the Overseas Students Ombudsman.

Who can complain to the Overseas Students Ombudsman?
Intending, current and former Overseas students can contact the Ombudsman about an action or decision taken by their private registered education provider in Australia. Family or friends of overseas students, who are concerned about a problem an overseas student is having with a private provider, can also contact the Ombudsman. See: Permission for someone else to act on my behalf form

How to make a complaint to the Overseas Students Ombudsman

You can view our Privacy Statement here.

You can make your complaint online by using our online complaint form.

You can contact us by telephone, 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST). In Australia, call: 1300 362 072 (calls from mobile phones at mobile phone rates). Outside Australia, call +61 2 6276 0111.

Using an interpreter
You can make a complaint in your language. Call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) in Australia on 131 450, outside Australia call +61 3 9203 4027. We will pay for the interpreter.

If you are deaf, hearing or sight impaired
You can contact us via the National Relay Service. Teletypewriter (TTY) users phone 133 677 and then ask for 1300 362 072. Speak and Listen users phone 1300 555 727 and then ask for 1300 362 072. Internet Relay users connect to the National Relay Service and then ask for 1300 362 072.

You can send us a fax. In Australia: 02 6276 0123. Outside Australia: +61 2 6276 0123.

You can write a letter and post it to: Overseas Students Ombudsman
GPO Box 442
Canberra ACT 2601
(Quote: http://www.ombudsman.gov.au/about/overseas-student-ombudsman-landing-page)

International students commencing their studies at Scots English College remotely able to demonstrate they were denied the necessary visa to enable study in Australia, despite reasonable efforts to obtain one, may elect to have 100% of tuition fees for that course refunded.     

However, if a student has completed the requirements for a course of study and wishes to receive a grade and certificate for that course of study, then a refund will not be applicable. Also, students who provide fraudulent information to Scots English College will not be eligible for refund.

If an international student wishing to commence their studies remotely withdraws or suspends prior to commencement date, he or she may be eligible for a partial refund as per the college’s Cancelation and refund policy as follows:  



When the student decides and gives a written notice of not to enrol at least four weeks prior to the commencement of the course.


When the student decides and gives a written notice of not to enrol less than four weeks prior to the commencement of the course.

 For more information, please check our refund policy.  




Follow by Email